Some of us just aren’t morning people. You know who you are. You perpetually wake up on the “wrong side of the bed,” or your morning cup of coffee doesn’t give you the jolt you need anymore. It is a sad state of affairs, but also one we can combat! Some of the world’s most successful people have morning rituals, and it is hard to not wonder if this small quirk gives them that edge we all want in the work place, and in life. In honor of those brilliant minds, I’ve curated a list of ways in which some of the most successful people start their days:
- United States President Barack Obama goes to the gym…every morning. The man is arguably one of the most powerful and influential people in the world. Maybe we should take a page out of his book? (Business Insider)
- Richard Branson (you know, that billionaire who owns the Virgin brand) wakes up at 5 a.m. every day, no matter where he is. Branson said, “Over my 50 years in business I have learned that if I rise early I can achieve so much more in a day, and therefore in life.” Who can argue with that? (Forbes)
- David Karp, founder of Tumblr, makes it a point to not check his email first thing in the morning. He has found that checking emails at home doesn’t engender a feeling of well being, and isn’t very productive. I for one can appreciate a healthy boundary between work and home life, so props to you, sir. (Fast Company)
- Mark Zuckerberg – he of Facebook fame – is known for dressing the same way every day. He claims it is “one less decision he has to make” in the morning. Touché, Mark. (Sleepy People)
- Founder and CEO of Amazon, Jeff Bezos, doesn’t like morning meetings. Instead, he prefers to indulge in a healthy breakfast with his wife and family. I have to admit, I can’t think of a better way to start the day. (Sleepy People)
- British Prime Minister David Cameron (soon to be former PM; damn Brexit) avoids watching television in the morning, and the rule doesn’t just apply to him. He feels his children should be doing something productive in the morning, too. (TIME)
There you have it! I can’t say I could subscribe to each of these practices, as I personally love our Monday Morning Meetings, and could never wear the same thing every day. But, there is something to be said for having a morning ritual and reaping the rewards.
If you asked some of us here at Hype how we started our day, you’d get a variation of answers. Some of us need coffee as if our lives depended on it. Some of us go to the gym before work, and others just roll out of bed and jump right into the day. Tell us what you do to start your day off right! Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook and Instagram to stay up-to-date with the Hype Groupies in and out of the office.